MINCEMEAT CUPCAKES WITH MARZIPAN BUTTERCREAM
I'm a big mince pie fan, especially with a disc of marzipan in the bottom before the mincemeat is dolloped on top (I LOVE marzipan. I could sit and eat a block of it.), but I needed to do some festive baking for someone else and thought that mince pies might be a bit old hat. So I came up with these, and they are a pretty good substitute if you fancy ringing the changes.
This is what you need:
- 175g butter at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 large free range eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A jar (approx 300g) mincemeat
For the icing:
- 150g icing sugar
- 100g marzipan (I use the white marzipan rather than the golden, but the choice is yours)
- 100g room temperature butter
- Almond essence to taste (I love the taste, so went with about 1.5tsp)
- A couple of teaspoons of milk
- Festive sprinkles (optional)
This is what you do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Pop 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tin
- Combine the butter, sugar, flour, eggs and baking powder and mix together until smooth
- Fold in the mincemeat
- Portion out between the 12 cupcake cases and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until risen (they don't rise massively, I suspect because of the mincemeat) and golden brown
- Leave to cool
To make the icing:
- Chop the butter roughly into cubes into your mixing bowl
- Grate the marzipan using the large hole grater side on a box grater and add to the bowl
- Add the almond essence and then whiz these together until light and fluffy
- Add the icing sugar and whiz again, scraping down the sides if necessary
- Add a little milk if it's a very stiff mixture and mix again
- Scoop into a piping bag - use a star shaped nozzle if you want to make 'trees'
- Add sprinkles according to taste!
Plastic free/zero waste tips:
What do you reckon? Will you give these a try?
Let me know!
GET YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO A
Grab a copy of my digital e-guide tackling the big issues around Christmas waste in the home: