This is one of my favourite things to make for gifts - it's really easy to adapt, and one batch can make quite a few gifts!
I like to package it up into old jam jars for the ultimate in plastic-free(ish) gifting. I say plastic-free(ish) as I have yet to find cream in a non-plastic container - if you know of some, do let me know!
This is what you need:
- 500g caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 3 tbsps liquid glucose (you can find this in the baking aisle of most supermarkets)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp mixed spice, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger (for a Christmas spiced version)
- Stir in 200g chopped white chocolate after it has cooled a little
- 1-2tsp almond essence, and then sprinkle the top with flaked almonds
This is what you do:
- Place the sugar, cream and liquid glucose in a large heavy based saucepan (you need enough room for it to really bubble up) and stir well over a low heat to mix
- Continue stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture no longer feels grainy
- At this stage add any flavourings (except the chocolate chunks) and stir really well to distribute (I used a whisk to give a really thorough mix, and get rid of any lumps of spice)
- Increase the heat, and keep at a ‘rolling boil’ until you reach ‘soft set’ on a jam thermometer, stirring at intervals to prevent it catching on the bottom of the pan (take care when stirring, it can all bubble up and spit molten fudge onto your hands. Not that I’d know…)
If you don’t have the technological wizadry that is a jam thermometer, then you can test when it is ready by dropping small amounts into a glass of cold water. It is ready when it sets into a soft ball that can be picked up with a teaspoon. It should have thickened, darkened slightly and the bubbles should be small and even
- Whilst you’re waiting for it to reach temperature, line a brownie tin with greaseproof paper/foil/ silicone liner
- Once it’s at ‘soft set’ remove the heat, stir well and pour into your lined tin
- Leave to set, cut into chunks and
devourpop into bags/jars to give as fabulous presents!